After yet another busy week at the hotel and looking forward to this relaxing day off, I find myself in utter dismay at what I may want to do with my little time off.
My one objective for the day is to write about a burger I put together this weekend for two brilliant Aussies that were guests in my hotel. I have also been thinking of purchasing coconut wraps.
I tried it last year when we made Pina Coladas. It is so time consuming, and so much effort for just a few cocktails that I did not think it was worth it. I am not a professional Coconut opener!
I came across these Coconut wraps on Instagram and contact them to find out who sold them in my neck of the woods. Well, the closest store is in Holland, so I placed my order today on Superfood.nl today and will be awaiting for these wraps to make ravioli, or lasagna!
I made six Black Bean and Split Pea burgers for six different customers using six different methods and served them as an amuse bouche.
They only differed in bread, oil used, and sauces.
I liked the burger sautéed with coconut oil as it confers a sweeter, fattier taste, served on a whole wheat bun with a salsa which I happened to have read about on Chow Vegan.
A salsa made with Yellow Kiwis and Avocado.
On my third burger I mixed pureed mango with mustard which was also quite delicious, quick and easy!
- 1/2 cup black beans soaked over night
- 1/2 cup split peas rinsed through
- 1/4 cup millet
- 40 gr dried porcini
- 1 Cup warm water
- 1 Cup finely chopped red onion
- 2 garlic clove
- 2 tbs olive oil
- 125 gr raw spinach
- 1/4 cup chia seeds
- 1/4 cup water
- 1 tbs Balsamic Vinegar
- Coconut Oil
- rinse the beans and cook in salted water until tender. Do the same with the split peas.
- Soak the porcini mushrooms in warm water for 20 minutes.
- Meanwhile sautee a clove of garlic in 1 tbs of olive oil When it turns to a golden color, remove and discard the clove. Add the spinach and sautee until slightly wilted. Remove from heat to cool.
- Sauté the remaining garlic clove in the remaining olive oil. Remove the clove once it turns to a nice golden color. Add the onions and gently sautee. When nice and tender, set aside.
- strain the porcini mushroom, cook the millet in the water left over by the porcini.
- Chop the Porcini Mushrooms and set aside.
- Combine chia seeds with water in a small container.
- Add millet, porcini mushrooms and spinach to the onion. Gently Sautee for one minute.
- Combine black beans and split peas in a large container. Using a fork, mash them.
- Add remaining ingredients.
- If you feel that your Bean Mixture is too dry, add two tbs of vegetable broth.
- Form burgers using a mold.
- sautee for one minute on each side using coconut oil.
- Serve on a warm bun with a Mango Mustard Salsa, or the yellow kiwi Salsa.
- Stores well.