Summer has finally arrived. It’s going to be a steamy week. And I am already loving it. Sun rises before 5AM and sets after 9:30 PM. I accomplish so much on these long, beautiful, sun spanked days. Italians are always complaining. It is never just quite right. It’s always too hot, too cold, too humid, the sun is too strong, so I will be hearing a lot of this today: oh it’s too hot. The heat has arrived suddenly. I have been taken by surprise; Oh my I can’t wait for winter to arrive, and so on and so forth.
I thought of making a nice little chilled appetizer for my customers. When the first wave of heat arrives, all Italians lay in utter shock for a day, so why not make a nice
Fennel, Orange, Olive, and Onion Salad on a bed of pureed chicory?
I started my morning with a glass of iced Matcha, hoping it will cool me down. I added a teaspoon of chili flakes in the hopes that it will boost my metabolism; and 1 tbs of maple sugar in the hope that it would be good for my brain. I love to eat healthy, and I allow myself to transgress the boundaries of my own will only three times a day… I just stop counting after the third time….
I stave off processed foods and all sorts of sugars, but that doesn’t prevent me from overeating (good food) and drinking (a lot of) good spirits!
I could never be one of those persons who considers food, fuel. To me it is art, it is passion, it is joy!
After checking Facebook I decided it was time to attempt to cook in my tropical heat wave kitchen. I am glad I have customers in the restaurant to whom I can feed all my experiments.
- 2 Fennels
- 4 tbs roughly chopped excellent black olives
- 1/3 cup thinly sliced fresh onion (optional)
- 1 orange cut into cubes
- 2 tbs olive oil
- 1/2 tbs balsamic vinegar
- salt and pepper
- 4 Cups Spinach, Chard, Kale, Chicory
- Thinly slice the Fennel using a mandolin. Immerse the Fennel slices in a container with water and a lot of ice. Place in the fridge. After 30 minutes the fennel slices will have curved a bit.
- Bring a pot of water to a boil. Add Salt and your greens. Cook for 3 minutes. Strain and puree the vegetables. Puree them.
- Combine Fennel, Orange, Olives, Onions, Olive oil, Balsamic vinegar, salt and pepper. Mix well. Adjust to your taste.
- Place the pureed greens on a serving tray. Place the fennel salad atop the pureed greens.
- You can use melon, watermelon or grapefruit instead of an orange.