I wake up every morning at 6:30 to set breakfast for my customers, but I had none this morning so I was able to lay in bed wondering about life and food. I am obsessed with food.
What will I cook and eat today? Strangely enough I was not hungry so I was able to think clearly about what to make.
It was already hot at 9, so I would have to make something cold. I thought about A cold Pasta Salad.
I started building the recipe in my mind. Apple for crunch and flavor, Zucchini for color, slightly dried tomatoes for color contrast and sweetness, Taggiasche Olives (known as Nicoise in the anglophone world) for that extra punch, and a spicy sweet yellow bell pepper puree to hold everything together.
It all came together in my head. I headed to the grocery store to get all of my missing ingredients. I found a nice pasta made in Tuscany that I thought would look pretty in a salad.
The pasta was tasty . I could have eaten a bucket of it.
- 500 gr pasta
- 1 cup oven dried cherry tomatoes
- 1 cup spicy bell pepper puree
- 1 cup thinly sliced fresh sweet onions
- 2 cups shredded apples
- 2 cups shredded zucchini
- 1/4 cup shredded carrots
- 1/4 cup chopped olives
- 1/4 cup roughly chopped walnuts
- 2 tbs apple vinegar
- 1 tbs maple syrup
- soak onions in vinegar while preparing all other ingredients.
- Cook the pasta in salted boiling water for two minutes less than recommended cooking time, as pasta will keep 'growing' as it sits in the refrigerator.
- Let the pasta cool in a large pan.
- In a large mixing bowl add the shredded zucchini, olives, strained onions.
- Place the shredded apple in the vinegar previously used to soak the onions.
- Add the pasta and the apples.
- Mix together bell pepper puree, maple syrup, and the vinegar used for the apple.
- Pour over your pasta.